On an early morning, with an Earl Grey and a nice new project: Africa.

You can see the evolution of this painting on the picture. I started inking and testing different shades before choosing one. I started of painting a light gray for the face and then I set a background in warm colors moving from red cadmium to warm yellow. I chose a brown gray for the hat base and the full tone of the painting.

I then went for a darker gray for the face. At some point my client and I questioned the background color and we finally decided to change it for a mouse gray. The big job of making holes in the hat begins and takes me several days to fulfill.

On the close-up, you can see I’ve added the black lines on the face adn the expression blows up!

Enjoy Africa!

If you are interested by my paintings and would like a portrait, feel free to contact me.

hat6